16 December 2012

Homemade Christmas

This year, since I am revamping my Christmas attitude I also wanted a Christmas makeover for our home.  Our Christmas decor was lacking a bit mostly because it came from the Dollar Store or a thrift shop somewhere in Vancouver as this is where we had our first Christmas together.  The bright colours and flashy cartoon figures aren't really my style anymore, but as you might know Christmas decor items can often be expensive and add up pretty quickly. So I decided to revamp Christmas without getting rid of too much by giving it a facelift, so to say.

Another personal goal for me this past month and a bit was to actually complete some of the DIY projects I have been frequently pinning on my "it's the most wonderful time of the year" Pinterest board.  I thought I'd share a few below as well as a few projects I came up with on my own.

I took all of our Christmas bulbs and covered them with burlap, linen, yarn and rope.  I love the finished look!

Pom Pom garland - These are so easy and stringing them together creates a fabulous garland.  I did also make a few stand alone pom pom ornaments and they work well too.



No sew Tree Skirt - I whipped this tree skirt up in no time by gathering burlap and using my handy glue gun.  I will admit I would have liked the skirt to be a bit longer but I ran out of burlap so I will add to it next year. I also made a similar table runner which is not shown here. The fleece for this project was on sale for $7 which lasted for both projects and the burlap came from the dollar store.  Now, I must say that burlap is a bitch to work with and I have no secrets to pass on to make it easier to manage but I will say a little patience goes a long way.

Stocking holders - My wonderful father-in-law cut these for me from a fallen tree in his backyard.  I added the pegs by cutting dowels and gluing them in pre-drilled holes.  I have seen a similar project using the stumps to hold photos by adding a wire circle to the middle but I decided that I liked the simpler look a bit better, plus the photos would obstruct the chalkboard on my mantle.

Chalkboard Frame - I had a chalkboard adhesive on my fridge for a while and was excited to put it to better use then my husbands random notes of phone numbers and what we need to pick up.  It looks much prettier framed!

No water snow globe - I own a ton of mason jars so when I saw this pin I knew I had to put some of them to use for this project.  I think I will add some more white snow but right now the soft touch of glitter is quite pretty.

Nativity set - I love how this looks displayed in an old Pepsi crate.  My husband thought of this as we were trying to figure out where we could put it which would be safe from baby hands.

So in the end I only purchased new stockings, the trees on my mantle and the NOEL sign, all of which I got on sale for 50% off allowing me to revamp my Christmas decor for under $100.  Yippee!  I am in love with our living room right now and am so excited to have our daughter open her first Christmas stocking under the soft glow of our lights.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas indeed in our house!






















No comments:

Post a Comment