I got the request for a custom order of a brooch bouquet back in November which didn't leave me much time especially for a project I have never tackled before. It did require a lot of searching for good brooches and many hours of wiring and arranging - for sure a time consuming project - but in the end I am quite pleased with the result and am excited to see photos of what it looks like with the bridal gown.
For anyone thinking this would make a great DIY project let me give you a few pointers which I wish I could have found in all my internet research.
- This is not an easy throw it together project - if you lack patience or are on a time crunch stay away!
- All of the websites I looked at said to individually wrap each brooch in floral tape - this was a sticky mess which I aborted early on. I couldn't get the clusters to stay together the way I wanted to and the end result was very heavy. My suggestion - cut a small Styrofoam ball in half and attach a handle to the base. Cluster through the ball allowing the circle to form your structure. You can build on the original structure this way for a layered effect if you like however I really love the tightly woven look so I went with this option.
- If you are going the purchase route remember brooches are expensive and since this is such a time consuming project the cost of making something like this is quite high. Purchase in advance to allow adequate time for the creation for the bouquet and have a swatch of your dress ready to give out as well, this is very helpful in terms of brooch selection.